Friday, August 19, 2011

Notes from the End of Life as We Know It 9: The Church at the End of Life as We Know It

by Agustin Martin Rodriguez

It is a difficult time to be a Catholic. I find it hard to identify myself with the Church because of the way its apologists are conducting themselves these days. Firstly, there was the whole debate on reproductive health. I believe that many of the people who were advocating for a reproductive health bill, Catholic or not, were acting out of a genuine desire to preserve life. Many of the people I knew who felt so strongly for a reproductive health bill were men and women who spent decades of their lives helping poor women find ways to realize their potential as persons despite the crushing weight of unjust poverty. They are fighting hard for the passage of some kind of reproductive health system because in their conscience, in the very depths of their reason, they judged that such a system would enable women to be come better persons and mothers—if not wives.

Thus, I found it so painful to see how official and unofficial defenders of the Church attacked the persons who, in their best judgment, thought that the reproductive health bill was the best way to save the lives of suffering women and children. Instead of engaging these men and women of good will, the outspoken apologists of the church launched an attack against the proponents of the RH system. There were veiled threats about excommunication. Those who believed in an RH system were labeled haters of life, of families, of children. Lines were drawn so harshly that dialogue was almost impossible. Clearly, this antagonism was first created by the angry Church apologists because they made so many venomous statements. And of course I understand where they were coming from. In their own conscience, they saw that the bill could propagate a prophylactic mentality, promote casual sex especially among the young, and cause the deaths of innocent, unborn children. And they could very well be right. All this time of conflict, they have been projecting themselves in the media as angry, intolerant, self-righteous hounds of heaven who are ready to condemn and excommunicate anyone who did not agree with them.

And then this CCP exhibit comes into the public sphere. It was meant to be offensive and so it did offend. Personally, I agree with the CCP board member who said that the exhibit was aimed not to offend God or to desecrate the Holy but to reflect on the kitschification of iconography. However, I do understand how the placing of a penis on the cross may have been an unnecessary crossing of some line. And often shock art can be adolescent and lacking in profound insight. But again, the reactions from the protectors of the Church are so rabid. There was the immediate labeling of people as blasphemers and anti-Christs. (One logic went like this: They are the anti-Christ because they are anti Christ.) However, the CCP board clearly acted with the best intention to promote the best art. Bad judgment or not, they did not deserve to be labeled the anti-Christs (if a plural could be made of that) or intentional blasphemers out to desecrate all that is holy. Was there no room for dialogue between people with the best intentions and good will on this issue?

Why were the Church defenders so rabid and violent in their hearts? Perhaps it is because they feel that God is being hurt in all this. But this is what we are perhaps forgetting in all these debates: God is bigger than all of us. If the RH Bill is wrong, God will find a way to make it right no matter the outcome of the debates and the passage of the law. If the controversial exhibit did offend God, God can absorb more mud than any iconoclastic artist can fling at him. We shouldn’t worry so much about God and His agenda that we resort to the ways of hate and violence. Because more hurtful to the building of the kingdom than the passage of a potentially dangerous, life-threatening law or the blaspheming of Jesus’ holy image is the losing of faith of the people of the building the kingdom in love. Today, more and more, the people of the Church are presenting themselves as a rabid, intolerant, reactionary, and spiteful. They are coming off as desperate to keep their influence and power over the people—so desperate that they will use the tools of anti-love to achieve what they believe love calls them to do.

People of good will are now being turned away from the Church as a home of their hearts or as a partner in their service to the people of God who are suffering much from pain and sorrow. How can people of good will desire to partner with the Church or draw energy from her if her energy is so negative and draining? Instead of being the beacon of love in the world, the people of the Church have been projecting a harsh, unappealing light.

This is very unfortunate because I remember that it was the Church's face of love that made me want to remain a Catholic. Until I was in my third year of college, I was an agnostic. I wasn't sure if there was a god and I couldn't reject the possibility outright because I had all this Catholic guilt and fear in me. I'm sure most of us remember how we were made to believe in God—there was always a mixture of “believe or be condemned to the fires of hell and Mama Mary loves you so much she'll cry if you don't love Jesus.” However, there came a point in my life when I realized that much of the evil around me was perpetrated by Catholics. The hacienderos who stole land or paid their kasama's an unfair and non-living wage were Catholic. The politicians who supported Marcos and were even the backbone of his dictatorship were the best friends of the Church. The businessmen who broke-up unions and denied their workers their just wages were the ministers of the Eucharist. Even the leaders of the Church seemed to support these perpetrators of injustice and suffering by turning a blind eye to the evil and even gaining in wealth and luxury from this evil. For the longest time, I did not want to belong to this Church and was just waiting to gain the momentum or strength of will to actually reject it and transcend the guilt and fear that this rejection would entail.

The other reason I did not leave the Church so easily was because I wanted to give myself a chance to find God if God indeed existed. In my heart I thought that if there was indeed a God and believing was such a good thing, why is it that the people who believe in him are the worst people I knew? But still, there might be a God and if there was, it was worth finding out. So I stayed in the Church and went to mass because if there was a God, He would probably manifest here.

I had the good fortune of going to a Jesuit university where good Jesuits worked. Here, I met Fr. Ferriols who showed that being a Catholic and being wise were not necessary contradiction in terms. He showed me that the wisdom of the human person ought to lead to an awakening to the Holy and that the gentle quest for truth could lead to the opening to God's presencing. I met Fr. Green who taught me that you ought to call God love for that is what God is. Then (then) Brother Danny Huang taught me that you cannot call yourself a Christian if you did not love God's poor and fight for justice—that being a Christian means establishing the kingdom of God in all you do. Fr. Joel Tabora taught me how to live that loving struggle for God's people and what it meant to concretely build God's kingdom on earth. These were the men of the Church who in my youth taught me that the Church is about love and justice, that it was about wisdom and hope. These were the men whose loving presencing told me to stay—to follow and see.

Because I stayed, because they taught me to look for God where love lay, I found God. Quietly, undramatically, but certainly, I found God in my silences as the embrace that overwhelms, as the joy that wells up, as the calm that says all will be well. And even today, when God is more silent, less presencing, I cannot but believe that Love is for Love was too real to deny.

If the Church genuinely believes that it is God's presence of earth, it must be the presence of love—not vindictiveness, or hate, or anger, or desperation, or violence, or pettiness, or venom. The Church must be love for God is love. Does it want more unborn children to be saved, then it must go among the people who sleep in the streets, who scavenge in the city's decay, who try to harvest in fields that alternate between flooding and drying. They must be there in love’s listening and witnessing so that men will not force their wives to have more children than their wives’ bodies can afford and those that oppress the poor learn to serve God in justice and not just through donations and the sponsoring of Church events. If it wants the lay persons to venerate Christ and honor Mary then its priests and nuns should invite them by showing how such veneration brings forth people with hearts who open to embrace all who dwell in sorrow and loneliness and despair.

In my son's school, every special Mary day, the kids are all made to pray the rosary. For about 45 minutes, 3 to 7 year old children are made to sit and recite words that they seem not to understand or appreciate. The point of course is to teach them to pray and instill the love of Mary in their hearts. In every single one of these sessions, my 5 year old son cries, or he needs to sit with one of the helping misses so that he doesn't feel too disturbed by the proceedings. I thought that my son only acted this way with during rosary days because he was bored or became restless out of his wits. If I were five and I had to sit through 45 minutes of words that did not mean anything to me recited in a toneless monotony, that is probably how I would react. However, I think, aside from that, there is another reason why he gets this way. One day, out of the blue while we were driving somewhere, he asked me if there really were fires in hell. I asked him why he asked. Because , he said, he wanted to know if he would be sent there. My poor son, I thought, his early education into God is through the fires of hell and the valley of tears when it should be love and joy. He continued, where are the people who killed Jesus? Are they in the fires of hell? Because he said, if God is in our hearts and everyone is in God’s heart, why are there people in the fires of hell?

This is not exactly what I told him. But it went something like this, and this is what I learned sitting in attendance to the Love that is in the universe. There are no fires of Hell if the fires of hell means that there is a place where bad people are punished and made to suffer unspeakable horrors by a vindictive god. No one is separated from the love of God. We will always be in God's heart as He will always be in ours. Sadly, some people choose not to love God and turn away from God's love. Despite that, God never turns these people away or rejects them. And He always invites them in love. But if because of the hardness of their hearts they insist on living selfishly or destructively, and they refuse to open to God's love that is flowing toward them, then that is hell. To be in hell is to be in a state where one can see God is all his splendor and love reach out to you and you cannot open your heart to be touched by him because you chose to be that way. That is the suffering of the sinner. And none of it is caused by God because God does hold us in His heart in love even if we are sinners who refuse God's love.

And I ask, if God is so much love, where is all this anger and condemnation from the lovers of God coming from? Are the defenders of the faith channeling God's love by their violence against the other persons of good will? Did they not consider that people who don't agree with them may be acting for the greater good and that the Church may benefit of the insight of others whose hearts are likewise embraced by God's love?

This is why I am so bothered by the way the Church (through its leadership) is projecting itself in public: to know love, you must be opened to love. The only education, before the memorized prayers, before the worship in sacred shrines and the falling before images, before the memorization of the complex doctrines, is the education of the heart to open to love—to see love where it shows, to feel love where it touches, to hear love where it calls, and to dwell in love where it blossoms. A rabid and vindictive Christendom can only overwhelm the delicate presencing of love. Instead of leading confused and doubting hearts to love, they may be sowing doubt with regard to the transcendent presence of love. I almost missed the call of love having grown up with a Church that focused too much on telling me how sinful I was and how I was at the precipice of the fires of hell. This approach hardened me to the love that seemed so contradictory. This angry, self-righteousness projected by the Church against over the top shock artists and men and women of good will trying their best to empower poor women and children and their denying baptism to the children of unwed parents and their calling women without children incomplete is certainly the noise that counters love.

My education in God, the proper education that opened me to God, was an education in love. Memorized doctrine, the repetitious worship of saints, the contemplation of the fires of hell did not lead me to God. They filled my heart with doubt. The passionate witnessing of men and women of love led me to love and then to embrace the doctrine. Perhaps our bishops should lead us in that kind of education.

We are at the end of life as we know it. We need to learn to build a new order of love because we will face civilization changing crises. Who will lead us in this task of rebuilding? This is a terrific opportunity for the Church because it can influence the new world that is emerging so that this mirrors the Kingdom. But who will flock to it when it is so uncomforting? Who will partner with it when it is so bitter? Who will build with it when its words tear down? The Church can and the Church must for it can lead by gathering the energies of charity for the tasks of the Kingdom. The Bishops called for days of prayer and penitence. That is so apt for we must really repent our ways as a Church that has forgotten that Love calls us to presence love and to have faith that love will overcome. This does not mean that we should be complacent in the face of potential evil but it calls us to use the ways of love in faith for only love will save us.

27 comments:

  1. Yes, we need this. Thank you! -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written. Great content. The message is simple and true. I wish news publications would publish this. Thank you for writing this :) Makes me appreciate TH141 more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so heartbreaking to see that people like you who truly recognize God are in the minority, Doc Gus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salamat Doc. Nakaka-miss ang klase ninyo. - Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Relevant, well-written, and I love how my sentiments can be found. Thanks for the great read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anya, an alumna in Washington, DCAugust 20, 2011 at 12:43 PM

    Thank you for an eloquent read. We should all remember that the Church is bigger than ourselves and God's infinite love is greater than our hearts can contain or comprehend. I am a part of the Church not because I admire the people in it but because the unending journey on the quest for truth leads to the faith established by Christ. I am Catholic because I believe that God came to save the sinners. We shouldn't leave the Church just because we disagree with some of its teachings, rather, it is our duty to seek enlightenment in that which we struggle to understand. If my faith was based on people or anything else that is finite, what a sorry excuse for a believer I must be.

    Without doubt, faith is impossible.

    AMDG,
    Anya

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you push your thinking further, you would have considered the possibility of thinking all Catholic dogma as man-made. If Catholic dogma is man-made, how about the existence of a god?

    But our attachments to our beliefs stop us from pushing the questions to those areas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sir Gus! Sobrang ganda nito! Miss ko na PH101 and 102 sa class ninyo!:) -Carlo Chong

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good read. My view on the Church is that it builds its following based on fear. Your 5 year old is scared of the fires of Hell and so are the poor in this country. They pray and believe in the Church because they focus too much in the unknown (life after death / heaven and hell). I push my thinking even further that the Church is scared of prosperity. In the continent of Europe and the United States people there are better off economically and they have seen the decline of the Church's influence to the citizens there. They are scared that they might lose power and so they in turn scare you. They scare you with ex-communications and to the depths of hell or whatever they can think of for you to just stick to their side. The Church should be more relevant to the circumstances and events today rather than a future that is unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know the Philo department had an official blog. Thank you! Gained so many insights with this article. It helps so many lost sheep like us to understand all the anger and sadness in this world

    ReplyDelete
  11. I left the Catholic Church because I realized that good people do good things, and the Church simply takes the credit for it. If you're raised in the Church, it can be difficult to come to that realization, because one takes the Church and its teachings for granted. I'm grateful that I got an Ateneo education because I was taught to discern, and that gift of discernment led me to leave organized religion altogether. Thanks for a great read, Sir Gus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To Anonymous (August 20, 2011 3:37 PM)

    I would just like to question one point that you made in your comment.

    "... and so are the poor in this country. They pray and believe in the Church because they focus too much in the unknown (life after death / heaven and hell)."

    First of all, I ask that you be very careful of what you say about the poor, especially about the reasons for their belief. The statement above sounds more like a rash opinion (and an over-generalization) than the product of a long process of consulting with the poor and asking them about their reasons for believing in the Church. Based on my own interaction with impoverished Catholics, many of them believe in the Church simply because they have no one else to run to except for God. You are correct in saying that they are very focused on the unknown. But this unknown is not the after-life, but the desperation of day-to-day life. They do not know what they will eat tomorrow. They do not know whether they will have a job tomorrow. They do not know whether they will live to see tomorrow. In this vast vacuum of uncertainty, the poor (at least, those whom I have known) cling to their faith-- out of fear, yes, but also out of hope. They do not pray (just) because they want to stay out of Hell and get into Heaven. They pray for their daily bread. They pray for a better future for their children. They pray because they're in a living Hell, and they hope to get out of it.

    It's a long comment to a short phrase, but once again, I beg of you to be more careful about what you say about the poor. They are real people with real lives, and they deserve more than unqualified assumptions about them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi sir Gus! It's me Jemboy, nice post by the way. I really appreciate your openness to both sides. I just like to give my two cents on this matter. First of all, I am against both the RH bill and that art thing in the CCP for the reasons you already enumerated above. Life is precious after all and it must be defended. As for the art thing, well I actually haven't seen it all, but I think I've seen, and heard, enough about the issue to go against it.

    Having said this though I'd just like to talk about what you said about the Church or Catholics becoming aggressive due to their fear that God is being offended. I can sympathize with them because I also feel the same way at times, when talking about these issues. I do believe that God gets offended by these things and we should stand up for Him as best we can. And I guess it's this same reason, this love for God and the beliefs that they cherish, that prompts Catholics to defend their faith so dearly, even violently at times. Thus I can't really blame them completely.

    However, I also understand what you said about the Church needing to show more compassion. Name-calling, demonizing/ad-homineming is not really Christian and can only discourage those who are outside the Church that may be seeking God as well. It's difficult but this is really the challenge isn't it? How to love God and yet at the same time show love to one's neigbor. Or in other terms how to stand up for our faith and at the same time show compassion to others. And I think the reason why it's so difficult is that it requires much courage. It is courageous enough for one to stand up firmly for one's dearly held beliefs in the face of hostility and anger. But it requires even greater courage to do so without retaliating in the same way, while simultaneously trying to honestly understand where the other is coming from. And I guess that is what some people of the Church at this time have failed to do, and again I can't blame them.

    So I think this courage is one thing that the people of the Church (that's also us by the way) really need. We need the courage to stand up firmly for what we believe. To assert it in a simple, clear and compassionate way without the unnecessary defensive/aggressive air, name-calling, sarcasm, ad hominem, straw man, etc. Also we need the courage to hear the other side with a humble mind and heart. In the end, what we need is the courage to simply follow Christ's two great commandments to love God and at the same time love our neigbor as ourselves, even if that might mean curtailing our ego's desire for retaliation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "In their own conscience, they saw that the bill could propagate a prophylactic mentality, promote casual sex especially among the young, and cause the deaths of innocent, unborn children. And they could very well be right." -- Indeed. And this isn't without a sound foundation. Fr. Paul Marx, OSB, founder of Human Life International, said that in all his travels around the globe, he had *never* encountered a country which first embraced artificial contraceptive programs that didn't eventually legalize abortion. This is what the Church is protecting the people against, among other things. Without ignoring the hard questions, and by fully facing the sufferings of our poor sisters (who must be wives and mothers amidst unjust social structures), I still have confidence that the Church can and will be able to bridge this communication gap. But you are also right in stating that the Church's representatives cannot continue engaging in such pro-life apologetics with anger and vindictiveness at the fore. Perhaps the anger and apparent vindictiveness stem from their fear - not necessarily of losing their power in the socio-anthropological sense - but from a more basic fear of failure to adequately communicate that which they believe in. And that's a pity, because their fear engenders the self-fulfilling prophecy of this gross failure in communication. Let's pray for our Church leaders to guide us while they are firmly rooted in God, indeed, the Eternal Love from Whom all life ensues. "Perfect love casts out fear" (1 John 4:18). On the other hand, this personal effort to drive away one's fear and to embrace love must go both ways. I agree with what Anya said: as Catholic Christians, we cannot throw the baby out with the bath water, just because some Church leaders or prominent politicians, hacienderos, etc. give Catholicism a bad name. In our continual effort to find Truth, we ourselves need God's grace to dispel our own fears. We fear that which we do not know. And perhaps many of us reject or counter the Church's stance against artificial contraception because, in like manner, we have not taken it upon ourselves to *understand* what is at the heart of the Church's teachings. If only Church leaders communicated more love. If only we the laity likewise set aside our fears to be open to the Love that seeks to free us not just from our physical sufferings but from our ignorance as well. Maybe then we will overcome this impasse. If our Church leaders could communicate the essence of Blessed John Paul the Great's "Theology of the Body" to the people, that would be a vital step in healing this rift - this wound in the Church's Body.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Perhaps the anger and apparent vindictiveness stem from their fear - not necessarily of losing their power in the socio-anthropological sense - but from a more basic fear of failure to adequately communicate that which they believe in."

    Really? They're vandalizing art exhibits, filing lawsuits, and threatening the other side with bodily harm (and following through, too - hello Lito David!)... because they fear they're FAILING to adequately communicate their beliefs?

    I disagree, I think their beliefs are being VERY clearly communicated by their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. good post, Gus. just one thought: the search for the holy doesn't necessarily have to happen in an organized religion - nor does it need to be defined. the search is a mystery - mysterium fascinosum, mysterium tremendus.

    and if the church (the hierarchy) believes something to be wrong does not necessarily make it wrong in God's eyes - for who are we to gauge, measure, ensnare what God's thoughts are? if indeed the entirety of God's thoughts can be ensnared by the edicts of a group of people - the church, for example - or a collage of documents or collection of words, then how limited our God would be?

    in all these discussions and debates, we are trying to define, ensnare, and "uncover" God's thoughts: we are trying to "re-create" God's Thoughts.

    in fact, if we attempted to "simplistically simplify" what's happening in our world where wars are defined by religious ideologies and beliefs - it's all about this: outguessing God, ensnaring what God would think/say/do, defining what God defines as "good" or "bad".

    but who are we to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Anonymous above: "Fr. Paul Marx, OSB, founder of Human Life International, said that in all his travels around the globe, he had *never* encountered a country which first embraced artificial contraceptive programs that didn't eventually legalize abortion. This is what the Church is protecting the people against, among other things."

    First: We cannot generalize that the introduction of artificial contraceptive programs lead to abortion legalization based on one man's observation. Has it been proven by science? Has the observation been verified, replicated, and explained? And is it indeed causative - does one event really lead to the other - and why? Causation, as I have learned the hard way in my line of work, is one serious business - you can't simply say that just because two events happen at the same time (or seems to have happened one after the other), they are causative.

    "WHY" is important - if indeed such an observation exists, then dig deeper: WHY does artificial contraception then lead to legalization of abortion? That is where the real issue is - my hypothesis is simple: there is something else that explains this relationship. And my guess: lack of objective information on options and choices due to poverty which is due to a whole lot of other factors... That is where the root is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gus: This struck me - "My education in God, the proper education that opened me to God, was an education in love. Memorized doctrine, the repetitious worship of saints, the contemplation of the fires of hell did not lead me to God. They filled my heart with doubt. The passionate witnessing of men and women of love led me to love and then to embrace the doctrine. Perhaps our bishops should lead us in that kind of education."

    When I took your class in Philo of Religion (English) in 1994 (and you made me do my final orals in Filipino, BTW, and you made me explain Mysterium Fascinosum/Tremendus of Otto and Gabriel Marcel's "I Hope In Thee For Us"), your course and our readings shattered my belief in the existence of God -- only to rebuild it at the end of the semester. It has - since then - stronger.

    And I do agree: no amount of memorization, doctrine readings, and pulpit pontifications can strengthen one's faith. One has to experience it first-hand - and I am perhaps blessed that I had the Ateneo education to help me through that journey back then.

    But how many of our brothers and sisters could experience the same journey?

    We have been shaped by doubts, socio-politically. And until now, we are defined by our doubts about ourselves - as if we were not enough because "God is always fast to punish if we do it wrong". Or "the Church will excommunicate you if you go against them".

    I will not go as far as saying that religions engender doubt - but organized religions have a lot of responsibility resting on their shoulders.

    Instead of casting doubt, organized religions should plant seeds of hope.

    I remember you saying that hatred is not the opposite of love nor is it the absence of love. Fear is. To regain love, one has to have hope.

    And that is what the bishops, the priests, and the Vatican should be teaching: Hope.

    Not threats of excommunication. Not threats of punishment. Not fear.

    But hope.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I find Jemboy's comment to be arrogant and flawed to begin with. To say that he understands the (ridiculous) actions of the anti-RH camp just because they feel that their God is being offended does not make any sense. It presupposes that they are the privileged interest group appointed by "God" to claim whether certain stands, both in the private and public sphere, pass the moral test and can be elevated to the level of state policy.

    A supporter of the RH Bill can also claim that her "God" is being offended by the anti-RH camp, because her God is a God that wants more institutional mechanisms to combat the crushing poverty of the indigent, in the hope of liberating them so that they can reach their creative potential as human beings. But at the end of the day, the you-offended-my-God-therefore-my-actions-against-you-are-justified remains inadequate because our conceptions of God are different. It is outright stupid and insensitive to impose our feelings on state policy considering that there are other Filipinos who do not feel the same way because they do not share the same faith, or are non-believers.

    Please be rational with the way you argue. To underscore the feelings of a self-proclaimed privileged interest group as a justification for bigotry, excommunication, censorship, state policy and a narrow interpretation of "God" does not make you any different from the reviled old guards of our Catholic institutions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I myself went through this. Born in a Christian Catholic family, went to Catholic Preschool, graduated from a Protestant throughout Elem-College. But it was only in 9/12/09 that I surrendered my life to Christ and fully understood what His love, forgiveness, and salvation meant. I believe that it is important to yes, not go church hopping once conflict arises; but it is important to go to a church that is biblical in it's teaching and where you know that your relationship in Christ will grow. It is also important to introspect and check our hearts. Those doubts filled me when I was young. Whether there really is heaven and hell, those repetitious prayers are for something, etc. but those questions lead me to seek God more. to ask myself, "anong kulang, bakit ang saya2x nila? why am i not as fired up as these Christians around me. am i an evil person? why are they raising their hands in worship? crazy people." now, looking back, i could already see the hand of God in all that i went through. the doubts, the excuses, eventually lead me to finding Him after many2x years. i prayed for a church that will help me grow in Him and He placed me in one. Whether it is the Catholic church, or a Christian one, it will never be about the domination or the name. It will always be about you and Him. :))

    ReplyDelete
  21. When your asking yourself why those things happend or why did the Church(defender) react in such actions. It seems that those things are sacred and need to be protected. The action made is the same as you defend your family. In CCP, instead of Christ picture will be your son. What will you do? I believe you will protect your son morale and defend it same action made as what you called defenders.

    Questions(Why we need to pray the rosary? Study the DOGMA instead of discovering the art of LOVE etc..) that you've been posted was my delima in past years. I always asking question WHY? Acting to be so righteous.. It seems like we are living in paradox and contradictions. Stating in our mind that my thoughts are better than yours. Which screwing our faith and relationship with God. We live in this world not on LOVE but on our IDEALS. Which our thoughts taught us to do things beyond our expectations not considering on our actions but considering the actions of others. I NEVER GET THAT POINT!! like for example Mr. Politician give donations to the church. That this politician is known corrupt and concluding that the action he made was saving himself from the furnace of HELL. Inspite of asking ourselves that "When should i give donations" or "when should i serve the church/others". Inspite of responding it in a positive affirmations we chooses to criticize. All of us have different struggles in life and all of us have shortcomings. We are all rational but in LOVE sometimes we do things that are irrational. I've been digging and changing my perspective in life instead of counting and rationalizing the mistakes of others. I decided to start it on myself by not entertaining negative thoughts. Just to practice the art of unconditional love on which Christ has taught us. It so difficult, because sometimes we need to protect our interest. I believe that if all of us we do things out of LOVE. We are not pessimistic. Then if love will prevail all of us will see,feel and hear is LOVE. Which God's GIFT to us. Faith and Love are the same. Which never seen but we live in it. -JunJun ONG AN

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Everyone,

    Thank you all for your most wonderful responses to this little piece. We at the department are so happy to see how lively and profound the exchange and engagement in this discussion is.

    I am so glad to hear from my former students. It brings back memories of you indeed and I'm glad that you are keeping the tradition of reflection alive. I miss you all.

    I'm sorry that I can't respond in this form to all your wonderful reflections. I am thinking that in future reflections I will try to continue the dialogue.

    This was meant to be a simple sharing of my thought about my own journey in faith and my engagement with the Church. Apparently my thoughts resonate in the hearts of others. So thank you for sharing these insights and opinions with others and I hope that you keep reading us.

    love,
    Guss

    ReplyDelete
  23. The article is very insightful but still presents some desperate attempts to show that events in the socio-political realm are influenced by divine intervention.

    "If the RH Bill is wrong, God will find a way to make it right no matter the outcome of the debates and the passage of the law."

    Wow! You really think that some fictitious entity should be given credit once there is progress and things finally fall into place? You seem to be good at creating stories that dovetail with the fairy tail notion of the divine. You say that God is love, he cares about us, he'll figure out a way to make things right, everything's going to be okay in the end. What kind of bullshit is this? If what you're saying is true then God should have solved maternal health problems in the Philippines a long time ago, and would have prevented avoidable deaths. But it did not happen!

    You keep on speculating about his identity when it is actually real and enlightened people of different backgrounds who are inspired by universal and humanistic principles. Please, have the decency not to let God take credit for the work of humans, because it is a slap in the face, considering that you are all praises for an entity that brazenly takes credit for things that he is not responsible for.

    When something bad happens, you say that God is hands off. When something good happens, it is because of God. Yup, you're God is a God that is whimsical, who does not interfere when his shitty creatures bear the brunt of other bigoted creatures, but will only do so when he feels like. Tsss...

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Please, have the decency not to let God take credit for the work of humans, because it is a slap in the face, considering that you are all praises for an entity that brazenly takes credit for things that he is not responsible for."

    To Anonymous, the universe is much bigger than you, your atheism, & your arrogance.

    ReplyDelete
  25. To anonymous 8:42 pm

    The universe is indeed bigger than me and this is why I highly appreciate (and give credit) to people who are part of a movement aimed at improving the lives of their fellow men. I would never do such a thing if I cannot go beyond the narrow and selfish confines of my own world.

    Just because the world is bigger than me does not mean that there is a God :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whether it is the Catholic church, or a Christian one, it will never be about the domination or the name. It will always be about you and Him. :))

    I agree that the Church is more than organized religion, but I don't think that's it's all just "about you and Him." I think God will never be separate from a social component. Your faith is not just about you and your personal transformation, but to the bigger issue of social transformation as well.

    ReplyDelete